Just so you know, if you click on a product on candogseatjellybeans.com and decide to buy it, we may earn a small commission. Information shared on this site should not be construed as medical advice. Please consult your veterinarian before changing your pet’s diet or making any other health decisions.

We have a tendency to share our food with our dog friends. What encourages us to do so is that many of the “human” foods are safe for dogs, right? Well, as it turns out, there’s concern around some foods—such as grapes and raisins.

This begs the question: can dogs eat grapes? Let’s find out!

Is It Safe for My Dog to Eat Grapes?

No, it isn’t. Grapes proved toxic to dogs, causing them reactions ranging from diarrhea and weakness all the way to severe illness. 

Why exactly grapes are toxic to dogs is still unclear. But grapes are indeed high on the list of human foods that dogs shouldn’t eat. That’s as the Animal Poison Control received 3,722 calls in 2016 reporting grapes toxicity.

Will One Grape Hurt a Dog?

Yes, even one grape can be greatly hurtful to certain dogs. However, veterinarians have reported dogs eating considerable amounts of grapes without getting sick

The size of the dog also plays a role here. The smaller the dog, the less likely he’ll tolerate grapes. To stay on the safe side, keep grapes away from your dog altogether. 

By the way, the dried form of grapes, raisins, are no different in their toxic effect on dogs. But what exactly are the manifestations of this toxic effect?

What Are the Symptoms of Grapes Poisoning in Dogs?

The typical symptom of grapes poisoning in dogs is vomiting within 24 hours. Another important symptom to keep an eye for is if your dog no longer pees, or the amount of urine is very small. That’s indicative of kidney failure, which can manifest itself in a state of dehydration.

Other symptoms your dog may experience include:

  • Diarrhea 
  • Stillness 
  • Pain in the abdomen
  • Loss of appetite

Can Grapes Threaten My Dog’s Life?

Left untreated, sudden kidney failure can very much be lethal. I should assure you, though, cases of fatal grapes ingestion aren’t common.

Out of the nearly 4000 cases of grape toxicity that were reported to the Animal Control Centre, only one was fatal. The reason for that was a three-day delay before seeing the vet.

What to Do if a Dog Accidentally Ate Grapes?

Promptly contacting the vet upon noticing any of the symptoms can be a huge life-saver. You may need to call the vet even with no manifestations of symptoms at all! 

Remember, your dog may not show symptoms right away. That’s why it’s important to start taking action once you learn of any exposure to grapes.

The dog doesn’t have to eat whole grapes in order for him to feel the bad effects. Baked goods having grapes in them could also be toxic. An example of that would be:

  • Mince pies
  • Fruit cakes
  • Scones
  • Malt loaf
  • Snack bars

Final Words

Sure, grapes are delicious fruits and make amazing snacking. Unfortunately, not all human foods are fit to be tossed for your dear dog. Grapes and raisins, in particular, are a no-go for your dog. They’re toxic and can cause sudden kidney failure. 

So, make sure to keep grapes out of your dog’s reach. This way, you’ll keep him alive and kicking!

Similar Posts