Just so you know, if you click on a product on candogseatjellybeans.com and decide to buy it, we may earn a small commission. Information shared on this site should not be construed as medical advice. Please consult your veterinarian before changing your pet’s diet or making any other health decisions.
Salmon is often praised as a fine quality dog food. It contains lean protein, minerals, vitamins, anti-oxidants, and significant amounts of omega-3. All these elements are huge contributors to wellness, especially if a dog is energetic, massive, or has a rich coat.
That’s why it’s perfectly legitimate for a dog owner to ask, can dogs eat smoked salmon?
The answer is no, they shouldn’t. While smoked salmon isn’t 100% toxic to dogs, still, it could be life-threatening under certain circumstances. Additionally, the way it’s prepared makes it generally unhealthy for dogs.
Here’s why feeding canines smoked salmon is a bad idea, and what to do if they accidentally take a bite.
Two things make giving a dog smoked salmon a bad idea: first, that it’s not thoroughly cooked, so it has the potential of carrying pathogens. And second, that it contains unearthly amounts of sodium that could seriously harm dogs.
Smoked salmon has a lot in common with raw salmon since it’s not subjected to heat, but rather salted and cured. Raw salmon often catches a bacteria-carrying parasite that could be fatal to dogs. And smoking it doesn’t eliminate that bacteria.
If humans or dogs are exposed to the Nanophyetus salmincola bacteria that raw fish have, humans would get sick, but dogs would get salmon poisoning. This is a life-threatening issue, so if a dog ingests raw or smoked salmon, pet owners should contact the vet right away.
Salmon poisoning could take up to 10 days to develop, and on the 14th day, the dog could pass. The signs of sickness include:
- Refusing food
- Frequent defecation
- High fever
Dogs need salt, but in much smaller amounts than humans. If they get excessive amounts of it, they might feel dehydrated, unwell, and if they have too much, that could cause sodium Poisoning.
The worrying signs are:
- Fluid accumulation and edema
- Obvious shaking
- Uncoordinated movements
If pet owners notice that their dog has ingested raw or smoked salmon, then they should contact the vet immediately.
If the dog has been exposed to that toxic bacteria, prompt treatment could save its life. The vet usually gives the dog anti-parasitic medicine, in addition to a suitable dose of antibiotic. This should get Fluffy up and running in a few days.
You might’ve seen bears and cats fishing for salmon in lakes and eating it raw. Humans also are so fond of sampling Sushi and Sashimi with all the delicious raw salmon they contain. It’s odd then to imagine that dogs can’t tolerate it at all.
Even when salmon is cooked, it should be plain with no added sauces, herbs, or spices. Also, it should be presented to the dog free from bones and skins, as these could be hard to swallow.
For all the above reasons, it’s always advisable to stay knowledgeable about the best foods to give to your dog, and especially the ones to avoid.